Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani is a Famous Pakistani Islamic Preacher, Scholar, Judge, and Professor. He belongs to the Deobandi School of thought. He is teaching Hadith in Dar Ul Uloom Karachi, where he is also the Vice-President of the Institute. He is an expert in Islamic Economics and Financial Management. Mufti Taqi is a notable affiliate of many Shariah Boards of different countries.
Early Life and Education of Mufti Taqi Usmani
When Mufti Taqi was at the age of four, his family immigrated from India to Karachi. Taqi Usmani was born in Deoband, United Provinces UP, India. He received his early education from his father, Mufti Muhammad Shafi, a Renowned Deobandi Scholar. In Karachi, his father founded the Madrassa Dar Ul Uloom Karachi, in which he received his Islamic Education. Later, Mufti Taqi Usmani graduated in Economics and Politics, Usmani did LLB (Bachelor of Laws) from the University of Karachi. He completed his Master’s in Arabic Language and Literature from the University of Punjab.
Career of Mufti Taqi Osmani
In 1977, he became a member of the Council of Islamic Ideology. After that, Mufti Taqi Osmani Joined the Supreme Court of Pakistan as a Judge in the Shariat Appellate Bench and served in the Federal Shariat Court of Pakistan. Mufti Taqi Usmani held leading positions in numerous National and International Boards and Courts. He is currently serving as Chairman/President of Shariah and Advisory Boards of many Pakistani and International Economic forums and Banks.
Services of Mufti Taqi Usmani
- Introduced Islamic Banking in Pakistan
- Well-Renowned Scholar of the World who is dealing in Islamic Economics and banking
- Mufti Taqi Usmani si Author of 143 Books
- Prominent Member of Team that assisted Mr Bhutto in Declaring Ahmedis and Qadyanis as Non-Muslim
- He served in the Federal Shariat Court of Pakistan and assisted Gen. Zia Ul Haq in implementing Islamic Laws in Pakistan.
Accolades and Awards
Mufti Taqi Usmani is a beneficiary of Many Awards from multiple National and International Organizations:
- In recognition of his excellent services, he was granted Sitara-I-Imtiaz from the Government of Pakistan in 2019
- In 2020, Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre listed Mufti Taqi at the top of 500 Most Influential Muslims list.
- Global Islamic Finance Report listed Sheikh Taqi Usmani as the second most influential person in the global Islamic financial services industry after Shiekh Saleh Kamil.
- Sheikh Taqi Usmani received the Lifetime Achievement Award at Islamic Finance Excellence Awards (IFEA) from the Center of Islamic Finance at COMSATS, Lahore.
- He won the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Islamic Finance Forum of South Asia (IFFSA).
- Islamic Development Bank awarded him with the Prize in the Sector of Islamic Banking and Finance.
- A beneficiary of King Abdullah II Award
- Mufti Taqi Usmani received Lifetime Achievement Award from Islamic Business & Finance Magazine
Mufti Taqi Usmani’s Books
Mufti Taqi Usmani has written books in three different languages, i.e. English, Urdu, and Arabic. His Famous Arabic books are Buḥūth fī qaḍāya fiqhīyah mu‘āṣirah (Studies in contemporary jurisprudential issues) and Fiqh al-buyū ”alá al-madhāhib al-arba’ah (Jurisprudence of sales according to the four madhhabs).
Mufti Taqi Usmani’s English Books
- An Introduction to Islamic Finance
- Causes and Remedies of the Present Financial Crisis from Islamic Perspective.
- Contemporary Fataawa
- Islamic Months: Merits and Precepts
- The Authority of Sunnah
- The Historic Judgment on Interest Delivered in the Supreme Court of Pakistan
- The Language of the Friday Khutbah
- The Meanings of the Noble Qur’an with explanatory notes
Mufti Taqi Usmani’s Notable Urdu-Language Books
- Ahkām-e-Etikāf (The rules of Etikāf)
- Akabir-e-Deoband Kya Thy? (The Scholars of Deoband Islamic Madrasas)
- Dars Tarmizi
- Fard ki Islāh
- Hadhrat Ameer Mu’awiyah aur Tareekhi Haqa`iq (A critic of Khilafat o Malukiyat)
- Hakeem ul Ummat Kay Siyasi Afkar (The Political Thoughts of Ashraf Ali Thanwi)
- Islāhi Majālis
- Islam aur Jidat Pasandi (Islam and Modernism).
- Islam aur Siyasat-e-Hazirah (Islam and Contemporary Politics)
- Ma’asir Hazrat Arifi (Sayings and memories of Abdul Hai Arifi)
- Maghribi Mumalik Kay Jadeed Fiqhi Masa’il Aur Un Ka Hal
- Tauzeeh Al-Qur’an or Aasan Tarjuma-e-Qur’an’
- Taqleed Ki Shari’a Hasiyat (Legal Status of Following a Madhab)
Read More about Mufti Tariq Masood